It cannot be countered that your body is the result of what you eat. And during pregnancy, what you put in your body impacts not only you but your child as well. Therefore, you need to improve the quality of the food that you intake and ensure that your body is receiving all the essential nutrients.
What Are Supplements and Why Are They Important?
Dietary supplements increase your daily intake of nutrients. These come in the form of liquids, powders, tablets, capsules, etc.
So, getting the right nutrients is important during pregnancy as you need nourishment for yourself and your baby. It has been found out that the need for protein and micronutrients increases during pregnancy. While you may not need supplements if you have a healthy and wholesome diet, and if you exercise regularly, they may be required in case of deficiencies or if prescribed by your doctor. Even when you are on supplements, you must maintain a healthy diet, or it will all be in vain.
What Are The Supplements For Ensuring Normal Pregnancy?
- Calcium: Calcium is essential for strong bones in a developing fetus. It nourishes pregnant women and provides them with adequate strength. While dietary sources of calcium are dairy products and eggs, it is also available in tablet form in the market.
- Vitamin D: This is also important for the development of bones. Pregnant women also need this for immune function and cell division. Vitamin D is known to promote healthy eyesight and smooth skin. Vitamin D can also be obtained by exposure to sunlight and in the form of tablets.
- Iron: As maternal blood volume increases by 45%, the body’s demand for iron also increases during pregnancy. Iron ensures healthy growth and development of your baby and the placenta. A deficiency of iron results in anaemia, which could adversely affect the child. Iron supplements should be taken under the supervision of the doctor.
- Prenatal Vitamins: These are specially formulated multivitamins to meet the growing demand for micronutrients during pregnancy. These are prescribed to be taken before conception and during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Prenatal supplements reduce the risk of preeclampsia and preterm birth.
- Folate: This is known as vitamin B9, the deficiency of which results in defects in the spine and brain of the developing fetus. Folate assists in the synthesis of DNA, the production of red blood cells and the development of the fetus.
- Magnesium: Magnesium plays a vital role in immune, nerve and muscle function, and is involved in more than 100 reactions in the body. Magnesium deficiency can cause chronic hypertension and premature labour. Supplements reduce these risks.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Found in fish, these boost the healthy development of fetus brains and decrease the risk of maternal depression. These supplements boost cognitive function in children.
- Probiotics: These are beneficial microbes that live in the gut. These boost the immune system and assist in looking after the overall health. Probiotics also reduce the risk of gestational diabetes, infant eczema, postpartum depression and dermatitis
- Choline: Choline helps in the development of the baby’s brain and prevents abnormalities of the spine and brain.
- Vitamin B12: A deficiency of this vitamin could lead to miscarriage, low birth weight and restricted growth of the baby. Vitamin B12 supplements are essential to vegetarians as common dietary sources include meat, fish, eggs, etc.
Your health and nutrition must be your top priority, especially during pregnancy. While these nutrients are essential for all pregnant people, it is also important to consult your doctor when it comes to taking supplements. Your doctor would know better about the deficiencies in your diet and would correctly advise you regarding the proper doses, potential risks, benefits and safety of such supplements.
For any pregnancy-related issues, you can meet the best obstetrician & gynaecologist in Gurgaon, Dr Amita Shah. She is highly experienced and is acknowledged as one of the best doctors for normal delivery. She has a very friendly nature and makes sure their 9-month journey is passed with happiness. She has a rich experience of more than 30+ years and that makes her an excellent and confident obstetrician. Her approach to patients is simple and filled with love and care.
If you want a hassle-free pregnancy journey, you can book an appointment with Dr Amita Shah in Global Women’s Clinic Gurgaon.